Saturday, February 24, 2007

CANstructing...

Never ask for work. Too late! 2nd annual Calgary CANstruction is what you get! To represent the company a bunch of volunteers (including myself) had a month to design and construct a giant structure made of food cans!

The theme this year is "Go Wild," the contest is put on for the food bank. Teams build some sort of structure out of non-perishable food items. The more the merrier because in the end they are all donated to the Calgary Food Bank.

Our idea for 'going wild' was a jungle-type setting. A pygmy with a roasting boar on a spit over the fire. It was pretty ambitious and we quickly learned that we need to plan a long ways ahead next year. The whole thing was a learning experience, tons of fun! It was nice to see some of the big businesses out there doing something positive.

We separated into groups. I worked on the background, 700 cans later I found it's very difficult to keep an 8ft by 8ft wall of cans sturdy (two words: near miss) so we redesigned it to make it safer. The pygmy is made up of tomatoes and sardines, the spit from pringles, and the fire from pineapples. The background and waterfall are pure green beans, kidney beans, and brown beans. The posts are chili and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Here are some photos, I'll link the winners when they announce them.

The background, fire and rocks.

Taking apart the backing.

The beginnings of a big mural by another team.

SunCor putting together their structure (7000 cans!).

Our finished product (ok it's not much in this picture but it's pretty cool!

1 comment:

Jenna-Lynn said...

That looks like so much fun!!! I wish I got to do cool stuff like that at work!
Your guys' looks quite elaborate! I have to admit though, even from overseas I am fighting the urge to rush home and play dominoes with them...it's so tempting!