Saturday, January 27, 2007

Consumer Report

So it was requested of me to share my constructive creativity of the last hour of my workweek. I was working away at a report when I just got plain stuck. Being on top of all my other projects and without a boss around, it was apparent I could not continue until Monday.

Earlier that day some co-workers were trying to figure out how to store maps that we have lying around the office. What we use are map holder boxes. They are pretty bland, made of cardboard and apparently very overpriced! This model (to the right) is a whopping $74.95. As you can see all you do is roll up the map and throw it in one of the sections. This kind of got me thinking. So it's 3:30 and I have nothing to do. I run down to the mail room and ask the boys there for some packing tape and a box-cutter. I got back upstairs and rummaged through the recycle bin and found a couple paper boxes from our office supplier. Sweet.


About 45 minutes later I had a finished product:

1. 2 cut up boxes: FREE
2. 8 pieces of tape: $0.16
3. 0.75 man hours: $15.00 (come on, humor me)
TOTAL: $15.16

Not only is it cheaper, it holds 8 more maps! So with the 40 offices on the floor, each with a map holder, I could save the company almost $2,400 dollars! Except for I won't. Rising cardboard costs and corporate taxes will make the SeanCo Box retail at $70.00.

You know, competitive pricing.

2 comments:

Jenna-Lynn said...

How very innovative of you! :)

Anonymous said...

BOLD!
I don't know how to use html tags.
YAY!

Look's hot man, get a patent on that thing. Otherwise STOLEN! BY ME!

Ahhh, blogs, so blogging bloggedy blog.